The Martin Administration will work to protect Carolina students’ “right to the privilege of education” as stated under Article 1, Section 15 of the The North Carolina Constitution. The Affordability committee will hold decision makers accountable for the effects their policies will have on the people most important to the sustainability of UNC. Its students. By instituting new affordable practices, encouraging the continued use of older practices and working to sustain the success of our textbook pledge the committee will continue to advocate for students. To find the full Textbook Pledge, click here. To sign the pledge online, click here.
Committee Goals for the 2019-2020 Academic Year
- Expand the number of textbook pledge signees from 300-500 while increasing publicity associated with the pledge
- Establish an open textbook grant program and work to advocate for the spread of open textbook programs across the state of North Carolina
- Institute a “Share My Swipes” meal plan program and advocate for the expansion of meal swipes to cover more restaurants on Franklin Street
- Help departments move away from costly access codes and switch to using less costly reading materials
- Ensure students are educated on what student fees are and how much they pay annually
- Expand the Course Reserve program to include all 100-300 level classes thus providing class resources to students for no cost
Dede Benissan, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dede Benissan serves as Affordability Co-Chair for the Undergraduate Executive Branch
Dede hails from Togo, West Africa and is majoring in Biology with a minor in Public Policy. Prior to attending UNC-Chapel Hill, Dede studied at Harry S. Truman College in Chicago, where she served in various community and leadership roles including Phi Theta Kappa Vice President of Service. Before being appointed as Affordability Co-Chair, Dede served as a member of the Affordability Committee, working on collecting textbook pledges and creating a resource guide for OERs. In addition to her new role, Dede also serves as an Executive Assistant to the Chief of Staff, and an Undergraduate Senator in the Oversight and Advocacy Committee. Dede loves advocating for her peers and working with student clubs and organizations on recruitment, retention, and visibility. In her free time, she writes poems, cooks, and watching soccer matches.
Ekta Deshmukh, email@example.com
Ekta serves as Affordability Co-Chair for the Undergraduate Executive Branch.
Ekta is a sophomore double-majoring in Economics and Statistics with a minor in Computer Science. She served on the Affordability Committee her freshman year. Outside of Student Government, she is a dancer on Ek Taal, UNC’s premier competitive Indian classical dance team. She is an active member in Women in Economics. She is also the Publicity Chair for Aaj Ka Dhamaka and the Marketing Chair for Dola Re Dandiya, two intercollegiate dance competitions hosted at UNC that raise funds for non-profit organizations.
Schedule a Meeting