Department of Campus Life and Student Experiences
The Department of Department of Campus Life and Student Experiences of the Everett Administration aims to engage students in meaningful experiences, events, and initiatives on campus in the 2023-24 academic year. Through funding and partnerships with clubs, administration, and community/campus organizations, the Department of Campus Life and Student Experiences hopes to develop experiences for the student body that will allow students to meaningfully engage both inside and outside the classroom.
The department’s priorities include:
- Lobby for the Implementation of a Project Uplift-Style Program for First Generation and Transfer Students. The Department of Department of Campus Life and Student Experiences looks to work with administration to push for the expansion of a program that increases access to resources in higher education for students from underrepresented communities.
- Work with UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School to Implement Financial Management Seminars. The Department of Department of Campus Life and Student Experiences aims to address financial literacy and workforce education with UNC Kenan-Flagler to develop seminar-style workshops, accessible to all students, centered around managing both personal and professional finances.
- Implement frequent events on South Campus that provide food for students. To tackle the issue of food insecurity on South Campus, one possible solution to consider is organizing events that provide food for students while also enjoying activities. For instance, hosting volleyball games in residential communities and offering food to students who come to watch or participate could be a temporary fix to make food more accessible. However, it’s important to keep in mind that this is not a permanent solution. Collaborating with the Residence Hall Association (RHA) and the Campus Dining Services (CDS) would be highly beneficial in achieving this goal.
- Expand Mental Health Services/ CAPS It’s important that mental health services are well-promoted across our campus so that every student knows about the Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and can easily access it. No student should feel afraid or hesitant to talk about their mental health with someone. Implementing group sessions or even one-on-one sessions would be great ways to encourage positive mental health among students throughout the campus. It is also beneficial to have multiple mental health service events to promote positivity on campus.
- Cross Campus Collaboration The goal of the Department of Campus Life and Student Experiences at UNC is to bring students together and foster a sense of unity. With numerous clubs and countless events happening on campus, it would be beneficial to organize a few events where multiple organizations can collaborate and create a sense of togetherness among everyone.
The Department of Campus Life and Student Experiences will be meeting on a bi-weekly basis on Mondays at 7 pm in the student government suite beginning on August 28, 2023.
Andrew Max Sigmon (he/him)
Co-Director of the Department of Campus Life and Student Experiences || firstname.lastname@example.org
Max is an honors student from Lincolnton, North Carolina double majoring in Public Policy and English. Max is interested in education policy and the development of innovative practices to benefit educational systems and student outcomes. Max teaches cycle classes through UNC Campus Recreation and tutors elementary school students with HYPE (Helping Youth by Providing Enrichment).
Yakob Lemma (he/him)
Co-Director of the Department of Campus Life and Student Experiences || email@example.com
Yakob is a junior studying Psychology and Human Development & Family Science. He has a passion for serving others and wants to pursue doctoral studies and become a therapist in the future. His research interests focus on exploring how the education system affects the development of children from diverse backgrounds, especially those who are of color.